Use Dropbox or iCloud Drive to sync snippets between Macs or with TextExpander touch for iPad and iPhone.
For sync directions specific to TextExpander 4.x or earlier and TextExpander touch 3.2.4 and earlier see our other article.
Dropbox accounts are free for limited storage amounts – see Dropbox.com.
Make sure you have Dropbox installed on all of your devices, and logged into the same account.
- In TextExpander open Preferences > Sync and click Save Snippets As…
- Select a location to store your snippet file, Settings.textexpandersettings. In order to make the snippets sync choose a location which syncs, such as a Dropbox or iCloud Drive folder.
- On your second Mac open TextExpander to Preferences > Sync and click **Link to Snippets… ** Locate the snippet file you just saved.
Sync with TextExpander touch 3.5:
- Tap Settings. On iPhone/iPod touch access Settings from Groups. Under Synchronization tap Sync Snippets.
- Tap Save Snippets As… underneath Dropbox or iCloud Drive to sync your snippets with that cloud service. You may need to sign into your Dropbox account and allow TextExpander access if you choose Dropbox.
- Select a location to store your snippets file.
- On your second device, open TextExpander touch to Settings > Synchronization, choose Link to Snippets… under Dropbox or iCloud Drive, whichever you previously chose, and locate your snippet file.
TextExpander 4, TextExpander touch 3.2.4 and earlier
While TextExpander 5 and TextExpander touch 3.5 support syncing with iCloud Drive and any Dropbox folder, older versions can only sync with Dropbox. If you want to keep newer and older versions in sync, you need to use the old style of sync.
- On your Mac with v.5, open TextExpander to Preferences > Sync and check on Sync with TextExpander 4 and TextExpander touch 3.2.4 (Dropbox only).
- On your iPhone and iPad open TextExpander to Settings > Sync Snippets. Scroll to the bottom and click on Compatibility sync.
- When given the option, choose to Link to the snippets already saved to Dropbox.
If you are upgrading to TextExpander 5 and TextExpander touch 3.5 you can use the new v.5 sync with any Dropbox folder or iCloud Drive.
- Turn sync off on each of your devices. On a Mac open Preferences > Sync and click Don’t Sync. On iPad or iPhone open TextExpander’s Settings > Synchronization and tap Don’t Sync.
- Turn on new version sync.
Sync isn’t working
If you have trouble with your sync, try turning off the sync on all your devices, then turning it back on one device at a time.
- On your Mac, open Preferences > Sync and click Don’t Sync. On your iPad or iPhone open the Settings to Sync Snippets and tap Don’t Sync.
- Once the sync is off, go through the full set of steps above to save your snippets file from your main device to Dropbox or iCloud Drive, then link to that file from all your other devices.